This 1848 railroad landmark is an internationally recognized structure of native stone that is noteworthy for its slender piers and arches. It is the largest bridge of its type in the world. Located off Rte. 92 to Rte. 171 in the village of Lanesboro.
One of the more impressive stone-arch bridges to ever be built in the United States was the Erie Railroad's Starrucca Viaduct, which spanned a small creek and valley in northeast Pennsylvania. At the time of the bridge's construction, in the mid-19th century, railroads were still in their infancy and were not only just beginning to fan out from east coast cities but also were still developing the engineering techniques and skills required to build complicated and difficult projects like bridges and tunnels. As such, it became no easy task for the Erie to span the valley located near what is now the small town of Lanesboro. However, with the help of a brilliant engineer and an unbelievable sum of money the bridge was completed in just over a year. Today, as is so often the case with stone-arch viaducts, it remains in regular use by the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway (although the bridge is owned by Norfolk Southern).