Northern Tier Symphony Orchestra Concerts

Wyoming County
570-289-1090
The NTSO was founded in 2010 with the goal of performing the finest of serious orchestral literature at the highest level in concerts at an affordable ticket cost for the people of the largely rural seven-county Northern Tier Region of PA that has lacked local access for its residents and musicians. Primarily utilizing high qualifying local musicians, it is the only community orchestra in the region. While Tunkhannock is the home base, it gives performances at various venues across the region each spring season and fall season and posted on our website. Player selection and placement are based on auditioning. Players have performed in over 50 high caliber professional orchestras and bands, and many teach at local universities and school districts as well as privately. The music director and conductor, Robert Helmacy, has a long career of conducting professional and semi-professional orchestras, the Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, NC, and concerti for many world-class players. He has taught music education and music performance college majors, and trained undergraduate college, secondary, and elementary student musicians on an individual and group basis. His recognitions include awards as a solo trumpet performer.

To fulfill a mission goal of providing our concerts at an affordable cost for all people of this region, ticket income provides only about 20% of our bare-boned budget needs. That leaves 80% of funding for other sources sought from individual donors, business sponsors, and granting agencies and foundations. Remarkably, this status exists despite the fact that the maestro, officers, board members, and most players serve gratis, even having been donors and interest-free donors. These facts show truly great dedication to the mission of the Northern Tier Symphony Orchestra.
Amenities:
  • Wheelchair Accessible